Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Descriptors in Affect


What is a descriptor? According to Dictonary.com, a descriptor is "a significant word or phrase used to categorize or describe text or other material..."

Today, Professor Ponce Jr. taught us to use descriptors to describe the features of a person's face rather than simply naming them with an adjective associated with physical appearance. Somehow, we had to go deeper and apply descriptors.

Everyone in class partnered up with their neighbor, more likely it was someone they never met before since it was the second day of class. Then, we were instructed to pay attention to the details of our partner's face and sketch whatever feelings or emotions we felt from them since every line in an art piece has a meaning behind it. Of course, everyone felt the awkwardness in the air, but school will always take us out of our comfort zone and broaden our horizons.

Geovanny was my partner for this exercise. Both of us sat in the back of the classroom since we were one of many students trying to add the class. Yes, we got in! While I was drawing him, I felt the following words:

  • Repetitious
  • Black and White
  • Flow
  • Random
  • Calm
  • Struggling
  • Dark
  • State of Being: Mysterious
The descriptors exercise helped further my understanding on why people draw. I've been drawing for most of my life, but I haven't focused my energy on anything specific since my drawings seem to be spontaneous and in different directions. I predict that my artistic energy will be more focused and I will learn a ton of new information, no matter how much I think I know.

Conclusion:
We use descriptors to better understand the point of view of the artist through emotions and senses. The audience will be able to experience the thoughts and feelings of the artist and truly appreciate the meaning behind every line of the artwork.

"Descriptors". dictonary.com. 28 August 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment