Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Academy of Sciences: Sketches pt. 2

Scale and Proportion

The Academy of Sciences presents many opportunities for scale and proportion. The roof garden seemed to be the best place to sketch as it had repetition of circles on a symmetrical hill. Although the cylinder shaped windows were the same size, they looked different at many angles especially when some are closed while others were opened.

As I was sketching, I realized that the reflections of circles created other circles, which made the drawing even more interesting. I had not noticed that until I decided to draw the faint reflections.

I felt smooth, dark and hard when drawing the black frame of the windows. Rough, strong, impenetrable, bumpy and coarse while drawing the cement that supported the windows. Light, calm, serene, visionary while drawing the glass that allowed us eye access to the other side. Overall the drawing looked very robotic and symmetrical after the drawing was done. I felt smart.



Solids and Cavity

This sketch was drawn from a distance. I was on the second floor looking down to the first floor and I saw this dark hole surrounded by a light color wall with small exhibits around it. The contrast of light and dark intensified the darkness of the room.

The heavy darkness through the door made me think of a mysterious beyond that I couldn't put words to. Why would the museum have this dark and somewhat scary room? Obviously to get people from a distance to get closer and check it out.

The dark was very heavy, secluded and dense compared to the lightness, freedom and openness of the the outside. While drawing the darkness, I felt cornered, trapped, no way out and lost. Yet, there was a small corner of light that crept into the dark, allowing some sort of hope and bravery to exist within that room.


No comments:

Post a Comment