Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Look and Feel

Rhythm

Uneven: Although the sticks themselves were straight in person, I found myself drawing the sticks unevenly to add to the rhythmic effect. This doesn't accurately describe the sticks, however, I was compelled to add elements of rhythm.

Varied: I also found myself sketching the sticks with different ranges of light and dark line weights to add a musical effect. When I think of a music note sheet, I see different line weights depending on the type of note. A full note with 4 beats usually has the most dense line weight whereas 1 beat notes has the lightest.

Unfinished: The sticks at the bottom were left unfinished to show how rhythm will always continue were it will leave off. Eyes will wonder and it will feel rhythm pulsate elsewhere. Somehow, closing the sticks didn't feel right since it feels like I will be restricting flow.

Diverse: The sticks, although 99% similar to each other in person, were drawn here with different textures, lightness, darkness and weights. The sticks felt rhythmic with their position, however, adding to that diversity with different drawing techniques bringing out the essence of rhythm.


Asymmetrical

Forward and Direct: Describes the hard core man-made geometry for this section. Lines and sections needed to be perfect, even though I knew it wasn't going to be without a ruler. I was thinking forward and direct to the point.

In Transit: Grids felt very symmetrical and precise. I felt like I was going to figure something out, but not sure what that would be. Yet, I was on my way.

Concentrated: Since perfection is one of squares quality, concentration was needed to fulfill the requirement. Lines needed to be as straight as possible and line direction mattered.

Dressed up: The dark shading around the bigger squares felt more pronounced than the smaller squares. They are the first to be looked at because of their bigger structure and darkened outline.


Repetition

Tense: Lines needed to be straight and matching the ones near it. Precision was needed once again.

Relief: Although the holes/circles were also matching at every section, they felt more free from the tension created by the lines. A different release of energy.

Relaxed: With the tension from the lines, the smudging of the concrete texture felt also free from control and order of the lines.

Balanced: The lines and the smudges create an even feel to the overall picture. Although the sections were equally symmetrical to each other, the smudging brings the order of the strict lines to a softer feel.

Sync: The sections repeated into the beyond, making each one identical to the next. The overall appearance was very sync, whole and together as a big family.


Symmetrical

Apart: The line that I drew first was the division line down the middle to separate the sides. It felt empty at the beginning.

Invisible: Unseen faraway through the naked eye, yet portrayed lightly on the piece, adding the fullness to the wall.

Hiding: The line dividing the picture also has shading to demonstrate the section that is darkened compared to the rest of the well lit drawing.

Accentuated: The shadows under each section brings out depth of the slight protrusion from the building. They enhance the appearance of the section, making it more dimensional.




Figure / Ground

Dark - Every line I drew and smudged in the background felt dark, black and overwhelming with endless repetition of needed strokes, necessary to transfer my vision onto this piece. Smudging the graphite to obtain the shadows and depth of the mystery.

Rebellious - Very few parts of the background contained areas of light and patches of emptiness. Although the background could have easily been all dark, the few patches were made to go against that and create a different atmosphere.

Intertwined: The ground portrayed the roots of the plants tightly sealing the soil together to support the structure its has on top. The grip to each other and not letting go for any reason.

Reflecting: The structure has lines that demonstrate the function of the object. They reflect and absorb light.

No comments:

Post a Comment