Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Process...

Today, we had a guest speaker, James, who was Francisco's old school mate back in the day.

James talked about how the element of unknown is part of every process, which we should document to fully experience our path. The part that we already know is our experience, plus knowledge and we use that to go forth into our explorations and reaching our goals.

Documenting different step of our journey will allow us to see different moments of the process. Because our though process evolves, we will start to see different aspects of ourselves that we may not otherwise have seen without this proof.

James' example of a 10 year old kid who buried treasure and finds it 20 years later will see the same "buried treasure" as something completely different than when he buried it at 10 years old. I remember finding some artwork I did when I was 12 and thought how interesting that I came up with such ideas. If I were to start another version of that piece, it would look completely different.

With the discussion on whether or not google will make things faster, I now realize why Francisco was asking us, "Is it really faster?". Although some people say, yes it is faster, I feel like it is only faster to get information, but the process of getting that information doesn't allow people to experience anything else such as human connections, utilizing our senses and taking on the overall journey.

I felt like all this new technology is becoming like SPAM because there are so many variations and choices, I have a more complicated time deciding which one is the best, which doesn't simplify my lifestyle. I have decided to simplify my life since the lecture even more so, because I feel like I can think more clearly without much clutter. As long as I have the basics to survive, I am fine. Although my lifestyle has always been more minimalistic than others, this lecture has reinforced my beliefs and I couldn't be any prouder.

I was moved when I realized that when something feels very real to me and I believe in it, it'll translate into something people will clearly see. My time and effort is a product of my final result.

"What you do in the present, echos through eternity" will be my new quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment